Brown Sugar Strawberry Shortcake
2 cups fresh sliced strawberries ¼ cup sugar substitute, divided
2 cups reduced fat biscuit baking mix ½ tsp baking powder
1/3 cup low fat buttermilk 2 tsp margarine or butter, melted
2 Tbsp packed brown sugar 6 Tbsp reduced fat whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 400”f. Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, toss strawberries and 2 Tbsp sugar substitute. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, combine baking mix, 2 Tbsp sugar substitute and baking powder. Pour buttermilk over dry ingredients and stir gently with spoon until dough comes together. Remove dough from bowl, place on lightly floured surface and pat into a ¾ to 1 inch thick circle.
- Cut dough into 6 portions. Round each piece into a circle and place on baking sheet. Brush with melted margarine and sprinkle 1 teaspoon brown sugar over each shortcake. Bake 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to rack and let cool slightly.
- To assemble shortcakes. Split each shortcake in half. Place bottom half on dessert plates, cover with 1/3 cup berries, 1 Tbsp whipped topping and cake tops.
Makes 6 servings.
190 kcal; 5 gm fat; 1 gm sat fat; 4 gm PRO; 37 gm CHO; 1 mg cholesterol; 1 gm dietary fiber; 572 mg sodium.
Exchanges: 2 CHO Choices; 1 fat